As parents, we strive to protect our children from harm even before they are born. At present, we are victims of misinformation and disinformation regarding COVID19 stemming from the executive branch of the U.S. government. As parents, we must fend for ourselves regarding safeguarding our children as they attempt to settle into “regular” school and college life.
They told us that our children’s health was not in jeopardy because of the coronavirus, but they were dead wrong. The most recent report from CDC MMWR reveals the following:
121 young people less than age 21 have died from COVID19 from February 12, 2020, to July 31, 2020
- 10% were infants, and 70% were aged 10 to 20
- 78% were Black, Hispanic, and Native American
- 33% of deaths occurred outside of a hospital
- 65% died in a hospital
- 19% died in the Emergency Department
- 13.2% died at home
- Less than 1% died in hospice
- young adults aged 18–20 years accounted for nearly half of all deaths in this population.
- More males than females died
- Hispanics had the highest number of deaths, followed by Blacks
- Asthma and obesity were the most significant underlying conditions
What can we do to reduce this glaring disparity?
- Prepare and donate a meal to a family who has food insecurity
- Use exceptional precautions if you are an essential worker, so you do not bring this virus home to your family
- Use extra protective precautions if your child has asthma
- Vote in the November election like your life depends on it because, in truth, it does
Follow Dr. Linda on Facebook | Order your copy of The Smart Mother’s Guide to a Better Pregnancy: How to Minimize Risks, Avoid Complications, and Have a Healthy Baby | Dr. Linda is a board certified Ob/Gyn and an expert in the area of pre-eclampsia and high-risk pregnancies. Contact Dr. Linda about an appearance at your next event or media placement opportunities.
Copyright thesmartmothersguide.com. Duplicating this content in entirety without written permission is expressly forbidden.
No comment yet, add your voice below!